Friday, June 22, 2007

Has feminism gone too far?

You all know as well as I do that "women's lib" aka "feminism" has been going on for quite some time. I've seen it in a lot of the TV and movies I've watched, a good part of which is classic stuff. However, I think that it has reached a point now where it needs to stop. Before you submit an angry comment, read what I have to say, and then say what you think.
Why do I say it needs to stop? Simply because it makes men feel like nothing. You women may talk about how pathetic we men are, but get me with some guys and I can talk for hours on end about how dumb the women in my life can be. It shocked me one time when my brother-in-law said to me, "We're men. We're dumb." Why does having a Y chromosome automatically make you dumb? While I'm sure there are some dumb men out there, I can honestly say that there are some perfectly smart guys out there. Many of my guy friends from church are darn intelligent guys. Do they make dumb mistakes? Of course they do! Who doesn't? You've probably messed up about as many times as they did at your age.
Of course, this isn't just a problem with people that I know. I was once reading a magazine article that was talking about how far feminism had gone. One of the things it said was that if you do a Google search for "getting girls into science," you'll find all kinds of organizations talking about the subject, but if you do the same search with "boys" you'll find a Beastie Boys song. (I tried that and got essentially the same result.) It also talked about how women rule in many television programs, even kids' shows. The article mentioned Disney shows such as "Lizzie McGuire" (I remember Gordo almost seemed to be a high-functioning autistic in that show, and Sam hardly ever had a smart moment, though he was funny,) "That's So Raven" (although Chelsea was dumb, it sometimes seemed like Eddie was a bit too girl-crazy, and Raven's visions were always the plot of the show,) and "Kim Possible" (about a cheerleader who saves the world with her idiot guy friend who has a naked mole rat for a pet, need I say more?). I've noticed it with other shows, movies and even book series. Who is the most book-smart out of Harry Potter's friends? None other than Hermione Granger. It's everywhere in all kinds of media.
To be frank, I think that it's nothing short of a double standard when it comes to "female empowerment." When guys belittle girls' abilities, it's considered sexism or chauvinism and looked down upon. Yet, when a girl belittles a guy's abilities, it's considered okay. To me, that's nothing more than female chauvinism.
Look at it this way: God didn't intend for men and women to be exactly alike. Why do you think women are the only ones that can have children? If God had intended for both genders to be the same, he probably would have made us all one gender. There are some things guys can't do, but there are also some things girls can't do either. The two genders are different in many ways, but they're both God's creation, and beautiful to Him.
You may think I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to women making mistakes. Well, I've got news for you: I do. I was raised in a house full of women, and I saw first-hand the dumb mistakes they made. Am I saying that they're dumb people? Not at all! You don't have to be dumb to make dumb mistakes. Have I seen men make dumb mistakes? Of course I have! Were they all dumb guys that made them? Definitely not! The thing is, though, it seems that the female gender makes JUST AS MANY mistakes as the male gender! They may be different mistakes, but they're JUST AS BAD in my book!
Now, here's the thing: I am NOT saying that females are worthless scum. In fact, some of my best friends are girls! (Check my yearbooks if you don't believe me.) Girls and guys are both important not only to me, but to "this ever-changing world in which we live in," to quote a classic rock song. (Bonus points go to anyone who knows which song it is! :D) I value women, and I hope to marry one someday (though I have no clue which one I will.) However, men are just as important in this world as women. One should not be held higher than the other, because they are both precious in God's sight.
Any comments?

1 comment:

Thilwen said...

Yes, I'd like to leave a comment.
The reason why women are treated the way they are these days is simply that the society is scared to death of not being politically correct, and thus it produces positive discrimination. Women had been oppressed for so long that now everyone is very careful not to oppress them anymore. That is for the "getting girls into science" thing.
I myself believe that men and women are different. Simply different. Both are needed. However, try to look at it from a technical point of view: how many men are really needed? Technically, to ensure the survival of the mankind, you need a man for - how long? Two minutes? But you need a woman for the whole nine months, plus years after giving birth to raise the next generation. That is just technically speaking.
The question of men being "dumb" is simply out of the question. Men are more intelligent when you measure their intelligence - with tests created by men. But they cannot take care of themselves (with all due respect). Women think in a different way and are more practical, because they are different.
Sorry for the incoherent set of thoughts, I just could not resist posting a comment. I am a feminist, you know. Feminism is the radical notion that women are people. Thanks for your attention :-)