Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why I Don't Like Sports

You all have probably heard me say before that I am not a fan of sports. I do not play any, nor do I watch any. You probably think this is weird or something, because it seems like pretty much everyone likes sports these days, so why wouldn't I? Well, I'll tell you why, and I'm going to be quite frank, so I might step on some people's toes, but if you feel offended, I'm not sorry, because you shouldn't have done what I mentioned. Still with me? Then, I'll continue.
The main reason I don't like sports is because I was not raised around them. Those of you who are big fans of a team or even a league probably had someone around your house growing up that got you into it. I think it's a safe bet to say that it was probably your father. Well, guess what? I didn't have a father around. My parents were divorced when I was six weeks old, and I didn't have an older brother around, so I was a boy living in a house full of women, and you know what? Those women hardly watched any sports at all; they didn't watch football, or baseball, or basketball, or soccer, or any of the sports you probably watched (or even played) growing up. The only sport they really watched (if you want to call it a sport; whether it is or not is debatable) was figure skating. While you all were outside throwing footballs or hitting baseballs, I was inside, playing around on my Commodore 64.
I tried to get into sports later on, but I just couldn't. There was more than one reason why. One reason was that I couldn't sit still long enough to watch a football game. It's the same reason I hated the first Lord of the Rings movie so much; both that movie and the average football game take a long time to watch. Another reason is that, during my formative years, the message seemed to be, "If you like watching this sport, you must be able to play it, too." I had friends that were big football fans, and not only did they watch it a lot, but they also played it, both on a video game console and in real life. (They didn't play on a team or anything; we just played in their backyard.) It wasn't until later on that someone would tell me that just because you watch a sport doesn't mean you have to play it. Yet another reason (at least when it comes to playing) is that I don't have the coordination to play sports. I could have tried out for every single team at my high school and not made a single one. If I did make any, it would have just been a fluke (i.e., they had less people sign up then they had slots, etc.)
One of the biggest reasons why I don't like sports is because I've seen what it does to people. I'm not talking about the kinds of injuries my friends have sustained while playing, because you can get injured doing pretty much anything. I could be injured while sitting here typing this if I'm not careful. I'm talking about people's dedication to their sports. The father who gets all grouchy with his kids just because his team lost the game. The kids at the youth group meeting who fuss when the youth sponsor turns off the TV so he can teach about the Bible. (Yes, I'm calling you out! :p) The people who say a team "sucks." It's not that I mind people using the word "sucks"; heck, I use it all the time. What I don't like is the fact that you're saying a group of people that God created "sucks." How would you like it if I said, "All the kids at [insert your university, organization, family or whatever your group of people is here] suck!" Not only do I not know those people, but they are all precious in God's sight, no matter what I think of them. If you're not a fan of that team, just say that you aren't, but don't say they "suck". You can say something like, "High School Musical sucks," or, "Internet Explorer sucks," because those things weren't made by God. Anything else, though, just isn't right.
Maybe one day, I will understand what's so great about sports, just like I did with Harry Potter, Disney Channel and Star Wars. Right now, though, I seriously doubt it.

No comments: